Saturday, November 1, 2008

Join the Twitter Vote Report!

I am very proud to say that I have been utilizing my position as President of the Madison chapter of Campus Progress to do whatever I can to prevent voter suppression. Much of that work has been done through my work at the Voter Suppression wiki, which is how I learned about the Twitter Vote Report (as well as Credo Action's Immediate Response Network which I will be blogging about later today). 

Twitter has recently gone viral with this campaign to take avantage of new media technologies to expose and prevent voter suppression. I am very proud to say that I was able to entice Campus Progress Action to join this effort, and every day it is becoming more and more apparent that they will have a major effect. Below is an email I received from two of their organizers updating their immense progress, and I really couldn't recommend anyone who plans to vote to take part in this enough:

I know that word viral is too often overused, but really, Twitter Vote Report (www.twittervotereport.com) has.  Check it out:

1.  CNN, NPR, ABC, BBC and several NBC affiliates will be using the Twitter feeds and visualizations as part of their Election Day Coverage.  You can see how committed NPR is to the project here:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96349881

2.  The number of tweets we're getting to date from early voters is awesome!  Two of my favorites are:

OH_observers: #EPOH from 866 report -fake election officials letting people vote from parking lot in Columbus #votereport #43204 http://tinyurl.com/6nfrmw

My #early #votereport - absentee ballots in #48823 require extra postage. Don’t let a $0.15 slipup keep your voice from being heard!

The first one means someone is passing out fake ballots in line in ohio and hoping people will think they've voted, the second one is that extra postage is required on absentee ballots in nc that no one is telling anyone about!

3.  We just added a new area to the site called Spread the Wordl (http://twittervotereport.com/spread-the-word/) filled with language and badges and logos to help you post and ping about Twitter Vote Report.

I know that many of you have already helped to get the word out.  Thank you, thank you for that!  But even if you've done so already, I wanted to ask if you could once more email or text to your folks about Twitter Vote Report -- we need as many people as possible texting in their messages on Election Day to make the power of citizen voices so clear that they can't be ignored.  Also, feel free to blog and tweet about it, too!  Thanks!

No comments: